Stronger together. Doing more for our communities.
To be leaders in innovation, assuring choice for exceptional community-based hospice and palliative care.
Commitment to Excellence
What is ONHA?
In 2018, independent, non-profit hospice agencies providing hospice and palliative care services from across Oregon joined together to create an alliance dedicated to preserving the nonprofit difference: More Care for Every Dollar Spent.
Today, we are the Oregon Nonprofit Hospice Alliance (ONHA). ONHA strengthens each of its members through:
- Peer quality reviews
- Support for best-practice implementation
- Shared efficiencies and economies of scale
- Development of supportive care programs
- Leading innovation in serious illness care
ONHA is here to preserve the original mission and integrity of hospice and palliative care in a time when the landscape in healthcare is dramatically changing. Our affiliates have operated in their communities for more than 30 years, and OHNA enables the continuation of the original hospice movement’s intention and dedication to compassionate, charitable care.
Together we serve 142 zip codes across 12 counties (from Northern California to the Oregon/Washington border. It is our goal to welcome additional nonprofit hospices as affiliates of ONHA in the future with services provided across all of Oregon. Together we are stronger.
OHNA members proudly put collaboration above competition to ensure that the benefits of nonprofit care are accessible to all Oregonians
What We Do
Peer Quality Reviews
Support for best-practice implementation
Development supportive care programs and measure outcomes state-wide.
Shared efficiencies and economies of scale
Meet ONHA's Board of Directors
Our board members are representatives from each member's hospice. We're grateful to them for their commitment of time and talents to the mission of ONHA and their local community nonprofit hospices.
Care Partners Board Secretary
Lumina Board Member
ONHA Board Treasurer
Klamath Hospice, Executive Director
ONHA Board Treasurer
Lumina Hospice, Executive Director
ONHA Board Member
Klamath Hospice, Board Secretary
Tracy Villarreal, LCSW
ONHA Board Member
Care Partners CEO
News and Events
The Oregon Non-profit Hospice Alliance (ONHA) debuted as an organization that helps to sustain and grow community-based hospice agencies in support of seriously ill Oregonians and their families in 2019. Member agencies have been operating in their respective service areas for more than 30 years and embody the original hospice movement’s dedication to put people above profits.
Being part of ONHA means we can do even more for our communities. Alliance members are sharing best practices and working together on innovations to support exceptional community-based hospice and palliative care. ONHA members are proud to put collaboration ahead of competition to ensure that the benefits of non-profit care are accessible to all Oregonians.
ONHA is patterned after successful nonprofit alliances in other states. Ohio’s Hospice, one of ONHA’s models, began in 2013 with three affiliates and has since tripled in size to nine, in addition to entering into joint ventures and partnerships with other community organizations including hospitals, physician practices and health plans.
ONHA affiliates will continue to offer direct care services and raise funds for their local communities. The alliance accepts donations to promote the benefits of non-profit hospice statewide.
ONHA’s members are collaborating in the following areas:
- Adopting common systems (e.g. software), clinical programs and business practices
- Quality improvement
- Physician peer review
- Employee benefits, education and training
- Achieving operating efficiencies and leveraging economies of scale
- Fostering innovation in the provision of palliative and serious illness care
It’s simple: our affiliates provide more care for every dollar spent. We don’t have profit targets set by a financial executive in another state. Our boards come from the communities we serve and give our agencies the latitude to do what’s best to support people through coping with serious illnesses, loss and grief.
About ONHA: ONHA is a registered Oregon nonprofit, representing nonprofit hospices state-wide who are collaborating to achieve mutually-assured success. ONHA’s CEO works with a board of directors composed of each affiliate’s Executive Director and one board member, to ensure equal representation among members.
Media Contact: Andy Kyler, email@example.com 503-207-3565
ONHA’s CEO works with a board of directors composed of each affiliate’s Executive Director and one board member. This ensures equal representation for each affiliate. This organizational structure supports collaboration and shared resources to achieve mutually assured success for members of ONHA.
We handle statewide program development, vendor and payor contracting, advocacy, media relations and prospective member recruitment.
Individual hospices within ONHA continue to provide direct care within the local community with the additional support of funds and resources from ONHA.
Simply put, more and better care!
- Specialized treatment protocols by diagnosis, including services and complementary lines of services, such as Transitions and caregiver support and more not offered by for-profit hospices.
- Supportive therapies made possible through direct donations to our affiliate hospices, such as music and art, massage, and acupuncture. Please see your local affiliate for specific services provided by each affiliate.
- Free care for indigent and uninsured immigrant patients and families
- More visits from experienced staff (lower caseloads and lower staff turnover)
- Decades of experience providing expert hospice and palliative care for Oregon families and meeting the needs of our communities
- Collaboration of affiliates in delivering hospice care that focuses on quality outcomes and best practices
- Training for the next generation of healthcare professionals: internships for medical, nursing, pharmacy, and social work students, who also work on special projects
A customized experience – care the way YOU want it!